Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Beyond cankles

I wouldn't trust a hair stylist with bad 80's hair. I wouldn't trust an illiterate teacher, and I certainly wouldn't trust a dentist with no teeth. This is going somewhere just stay with me. So my live in man thing/father to my children and I have been having some issues, and have decided to see a counsellor. She's a nice older lady, raised four kids on her own and seems to be wise and informative. BUT....this is a big butt....she is 400 pounds! The first appointment I spent staring at her ankles...they have gone beyond cankles and are nearly feetkles. The fat on her feet squish through her sandals in a way that mesmerizes me....like driving by a car accident, and she barely peeks over her chest at us sitting on her tiny couch. When you are in that kind of state....does it indicate at all that you have some issues? And if you are a certified therapist....should you even have issues? Especially ones that have led you to eat your way to the size of a Miata? I mean, if this woman can't help herself can she help us? So far, after three appointments with Jabba the Hut, she has said nothing that I haven't already said to man thing, "Sometimes hearing it from someone else helps it sink in though" *rolling eyes*. The main problem is his depression, yeah I know....how can you be depressed with a woman like me right!? I have analyzed the problem to death as women tend to do, he's just lucky his insurance covers this. So this psych better start telling us something new real soon. Next week, we focus on my in laws. *shudder* If she can see what a pain in the ass they are...she's a keeper for sure!

8 comments:

Corey~living and loving said...

tee hee another good point Devon! :)
I'll be hoping for the best out of this experience for you!

Lori said...

I hope you guys at least get something out of it. But, I understand. In my wild youth my parents took me to a counselor that picked his nose for the whole hour! How was I supposed to confide in him?

Boricua in Texas said...

I have heard that shrinks and therapists are a notoriously screwed up lot, and that many get into that field to figure out what went wrong with themselves.

;)

(I'm only half-kidding).

Anonymous said...

well I hope she is good at her job :P

Jennifer said...

Oh Devon...at least she gives you something to ponder while she wastes time telling you what you already know! :) Hope it gets better! :)

BTW..Scott thinks I should go to the local chop shop to get my haircut...yeah still in the 80s there he just doesn't understand!

Nichole said...

Oh you are cracking me up!!! Hmmm, she raised four kids on her own? Did I read that right? (sorry I don't feel like hitting the back button and rereading) Is it okay to take marraige advice from a woman who wasn't married? Or at the very least, was widowed early?

Meghan said...

D... you are not allowed to go this long without a blog entry.

I know I just took a big break, myself... but, I'm back and I must have my daily Devon fix!

Anonymous said...

I noticed your nomme de plum while I was reading and commenting on another site. Since this is the first time I've read your postings, I hope that you don't mind my offering what may or may not be a useful insight. It sounds sort of silly to say, but, it's worth repeating that, cardiologist don't necessarily have to have heart attacks in order to understand and/or empathize with their patients as well as be proficient surgeons and proctologists don't have to ....well, you get my message. For millennium there have myths out there concerning the efficacy of therapists depending on what they look like and some of the myths deal with how therapists behave. The fact of the matter is that neither of the above has anything to do with whether or not they're well-trained and good at their jobs. The other side of the coin is often discussed in psychiatry/psychology lectures. That is, the origin of these 'stories' is usually found to emanate from folks who really don't want to do the work required of them in therapy - so, they pick on something about the practitioner in order to avoid the obvious. Lots of people do it. However, what you've said is far more telling - that is, if you've been spending precious and costly counseling time looking at this person's ankles, hips, and thighs - then, to say the least, you've already found her to be useless as far as your concerned. Frankly, you're wasting your time when you could be attending with a therapist that might truly be to your liking and, consequently, helpful to you and your 'man'. I know that for a first comment I've been anything but frivolous; however, I take it that your situation concerns your happiness and as such I rather hope I might have helped somewhat.