Thursday, May 31, 2007

He's not heavy, he's my brother.

I knew I never wanted to get too personal on this blog , just wanted to keep it to my daily observations of the world as I see it....but my world recently turned very dark. My little brother (by little I mean he's 25, he's a baby!) has been battling luekemia for almost three years now. He was in remission and doing very well up until the end of March this year when he found out that it's back. Two rounds of chemo later and no progress. My older brother is the bone marrow match because Nik (leukemia boy) needs a transplant. Thing is though he has to be in remission to get the transplant and that just isn't happening. I went to the hospital with my Mom and Dad yesterday to hear the results of a bone marrow test to see if he is in remission yet. It went like so....

We were all sititing around a cramped hospital room watching "You Bet Your Ass" on a three inch tv screen. The question was, "On the hit tv show Friends, what was the alias Pheobe often went by?". "SMELLY CAT!" my Mom shouted, excited that she even knew what "Friends" was. The smell of Nik's factory produced macaroni and cheese lunch on a plastic plate was making me feel like I should maybe be lying in the bed next to him with a bucket under my chin. I was reminded of a funny story and was in the middle of sharing it with my audience when a nurse and doctor walked into the room. They told us that there was still "lots" of leukemia cells in there and their options were dwindling. This short, robust oriental doctor went on to say some patients prefer to stop all efforts and just be comfortable. I suddenly wanted to hurt this litte man. I wanted to pants him until he bled through his ass like that kid in grade 5 who made fun of my Nik's winter coat....because it was the same as mine. How dare this stupid little jap talk like that about Nik! ( for the record....I am NOT racist.....was just very angry and grappling for any insult I could muster). I had to put the blame somewhere at least until I could wrap my head around this, and apparently God is taking a nap. The they left the room like the dumb, ugly piss flaps they are. Nik says "Anyways, where were you before we were so rudely interupted?" God I love that boy! He was joking of course, he's a skinny version of me with no hair, no mountaineous breasts, and a penis....what would you expect. He is feeling quite well so wasn't expecting those results. He also said he was too young to give up fighting and will take whatever they can give him. That's my boy!

I could really use copious amounts of chocolate, or alcohol, or painkillers right about now....but I'm going to throw myself into something to keep busy instead. Too many calories in chocolate. *sigh*

10 comments:

Lori said...

Hugs! You know I'm praying for you.

Helen said...

Hugs to you and your family Devon. Nik sounds like a WONDERFUL guy and very positive. Screw those inconsiderate doctors!

Corey~living and loving said...

Much love to you Devon. It really sounds like your brother is a figher, and that with humor and love you and your family can make it thru this journey together. I don't know how it will end, but I am certain that you will find a way to cherish every moment.
hugs!

Sara@Sarandipity said...

Devon, I'm sending lots of positive thoughts and prawers your way. It sounds like your brother really is a fighter so I really hope he impoves soon. {{hugs}}

Laura said...

Continued prayers for Nik, and lots of hugs for you, Devon!

Jules said...

Wait a second!! Phoebe went by Regina Phalange, not Smelly Cat! Haha!

But oh man Devon, I've said it before and I'll say it again, you and your brothers are so amazing! You are all so strong! I really admire you.

Kristen said...

Your brother is a fighter Devon! I will continue to keep him and your family in my thoughts and prayers!

Meghan said...

... apparently God is taking a nap.

You don't know how many times I've thought that.

I marvel... how is it possible that you can make me laugh amidst your pain? You amaze me.

Go Nik. You're going to beat This Bitch.

Jennifer said...

Hugs and prayers to you and your family! I think a lot of people in the medical profession become immune to how much damage something like leukemia is doing to your family, just tell you like it is, and move to the next patient. It's sad really. Good luck to your brother and good for him for having such a great personality!

Mandy said...

many hugs and prayers devon!